Months ago I saw this online and thought, “I can do that!” Why not, it looks like a cool project. And I started searching and found all kinds of amazing blogs and tutorials and even an entire site devoted to this type of needlework project.
So I decided that I would see what I could come up with and started doodling with colored pencils to get a simple geometrical design that I could turn into a small trinket bag. What I ended up with was this:
Hours and hours of hand embroidery went into this bag. Enough that I began to question my sanity. But that’s ok. We all knew I was a little crazy to begin with. I started with linen aida cloth and some embroidery floss and stitched every inch of the material using the brick stitch method in the tutorial I linked to above.
I wove the cords using a kumihimo disk. Yes, I know that 14th century Germans didn’t use kumihimo disks but right now that is the method I know for weaving cord and I think it turned out rather well. Then I created tassels and attached them. I’ve never actually made tassels before but I found this great tutorial here.
So that’s it. It isn’t too bad for a first try. One of these days I’ll get up the nerve to try again and see if I can come up with another one.